Saturday, February 06, 2010

Bountiful Baskets

Just discovered a food coop called Bountiful Baskets. LOVE IT! It is a non-profit organization, run purely on volunteers. They order in bulk and are able to get a good discount on FRESH fruits and veggies. You never know what you will get, whatever they can get a good buy on and what is in season, but for $15 you get a "basket" of fruits and veggies. When you go to pick it up, it is literally in laundry baskets and you bring your own container to take it home in. I just brought an apple box to put my stuff in. I went this morning to help volunteer this morning and had an very enjoyable time. It honestly was a lot of fun. And check out my goods!Bunch of asparagus, jicama (Mexican potato-texture similar to water chestnuts-honestly didn't know what this was, had to look on Google. Wish me luck in using it this week!), two pks of three garlics, three tomatoes, cauliflower, four Asian pears, six ears of corn, leaf lettuce, seven apples, seven mandarin oranges, a fresh pineapple and nine bananas.

Then they also have "add ons", specialty items, etc. We decided to try the fresh whole wheat bread (because I haven't mastered making my own yet). 5 loaves $10, not bad, but very tasty. We froze most of it and will use as we need to.
We also tried the Italian package. Check out these FRESH herbs! Two different kinds of mushrooms, another HUGE elephant garlic bulb, two onions, parsley, basil, thyme, and rosemary. $7.50
They had a party pack with fresh veggies and herbs, lots of goodies to make lots of dips and finger foods for a super bowl party, I'm sure. They had a valentine cookie pack, as well as an option to buy the featured item of the week in bulk. This week it was a case of tomatoes, 20# box for $9.50. We didn't opt for any of these, but they sure looked fantastic.
It was a lot of fun and I am pretty excited to use fresh produce more often.

6 comments:

Elke said...

My mom always put jicama on a veggie tray. She cut it in long strips.

I'd love to find a group like that here.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Tara! I am SO jealous! What a great place and the prices seem reasonable! I wish we had something like that close to home. Your little family is growing up and it looks like you're all doing great!
Love, Tami

Rushton's said...

Elke, I think they have two sites in Washington State. Check out the website for sure!

Julie the Cupcake Girl said...

So...I wanna go next time! Looks like way to much fun!

Andrea Naegle said...

Hello Tara, Andrea Berrett Naegle here, I was checking out Denise's blog and saw yours. I do Bountiful Baskets here in Logan, UT and absolutely love it! I don't know what I did before I started, now we surely get all of our fruits and vegetable on a daily basis.

Larsen Family said...

I need to know more about this. next time at lunch this should be a topic.